- When you can't sleep at night because all you can think about is what other people thought about something you said or maybe something that you did, just remember that other people don't think about you as much as you think about you.
2. It’s almost never about you.
- People have their own demons. Remember this when people are jerks.
3. There is often a little truth behind the words, "Just Kidding"....
- ...and a little knowledge behind, "I don't know"...
- ...a little emotion behind, "I don't care"....
- ...and a little pain behind every, "It's OK."
4. If you want a different result, try making different choices.
- A lot of things in life (but not everything) are reflections of choices you have made.
- You'll never leave where you are until you decide where you would rather be and how you are going to get there.
Check out our first advice rendition: Top 35 Life Lesson for My Daughter.
5. When someone is going through a storm, your silent presence is more powerful than a million empty words (from Thema Davis).
- When my mom discovered that she had cancer and she had to have surgery to get a tumor in her neck removed, I was at a loss for words and I felt like my presence was worthless because I had no idea what I could say to her that could possibly make her feel better and I was devastated by the news. That was years ago (and she is healthy now!). The crazy part: she talks about how much it meant to her when I stayed with her overnight in the hospital (during my law school final exams) and she talks about it a lot to this day.
6. You are always responsible for how you act - no matter how you feel, so don't be an ass.
- You have the right to be angry sometimes, but that doesn't give you the right to be cruel. Just because you are free to be angry does not mean that you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
- Sometimes silence is the best response when you are angry.
- Just as saying, "I don't know," when you don't know, is also a good answer.