Choose a pediatrician before your baby arrives.
I wish I would have understood the importance of choosing the right pediatrician before my baby arrived. Pediatricians have a HUGE impact on new mommies (much greater than I knew when I was cluelessly pregnant). As a new and tired mom with a newborn, you'll be way too tired to easily make this decision postpartum and/or deal with the process of changing to a new pediatrician once your newborn baby arrives.
I ended up switching pediatricians when my baby was 4-months-old after I endured 4 long months of progressively awkward visits to her office with my newborn.
Why did I switch pediatricians?
- The polite version of the story: The pediatrician and I just "weren't a good fit."
- The truth: The woman was a total weirdo! And she had extremely poor patient relations skills, and I didn't like her caring for my daughter.
But firing Dr. Weirdo was much more difficult than I expected it to be.
Not only was I exhausted, but I had some strange emotional attachment to Dr. Weirdo because she knew my daughter from the day that my daughter was born (I blame the postpartum hormones for that one).
Note: I chose our first pediatrician for my daughter based on a referral from my OB/GYN (who apparently had absolutely no idea what he was talking about and was referring this pediatrician only because that pediatrician was affiliated with his hospital). Take my advice: do the research yourself!
- 10 Ideas to Help Detraumatize Your Toddler During Vaccinations and Shots
- What To Know Before Baby's 1-Year Appointment
- Help! Baby HATES the Booger Sucker: Mommy Support Needed
- Here's a Remedy That is Helping My Toddler With Teething Pain
- 3D Ultrasound Photo Comparison to Actual Newborn Baby
- 7 Things You Should Avoid Saying to a New Mom
- How My Carbon Monoxide Detector Saved Us - True Story
- Ultrasound to Baby Photo Timeline: That's a lot of growing in just 365 Days!
- How This Simple Tip Can Make Your Labor and Delivery Experience More Comfortable
- Top 25 Must-Have Baby Toys (2013)
- Top 25 Must-Have Newborn Baby Items
- Funny Books that Will Make Any Pregnant Woman Laugh
- Packing List for the Birth Center - When Baby Comes
- Thank You Cards, Made Easy: Time-Saving Process for Baby Gifts
- Top 35 Life Lessons, Wisdom, and Advice for My Daughter